Week #32 I give unto you- A lesson from 3 Nephi 12

Guten Tag! This week has been a good learning experience how I need to have confidence in Christ and not in myself. A few stories will illustrate that. 

Wednesday was an odd day. It was super bright for winter but sadly not a lot of people were on the streets in Bad Canstatt. We tried Winnenden but a market took over our finding spot so we had to try again in Backnang. We found a family with two pet parrots along the way. We went to Backnang and prayed that the day would go better. We then found 5 potentials in the next few hours. It was awesome to see how the power of prayer can change the day. 

We found a parrot in Winnenden (It was bitting at my ear) 



Thursday was a bit rainy and I was nervous about finding but we were able to find some cool potentials. One guy named George was really friendly and knew a little bit about our church. We are meeting with him next Sunday. We have also been focusing on making a call list so we know when we need to contact people and when they were last contacted. So far it seems to be helping a lot. We have met with more people and it makes finding more worthwhile. 

Friday was a hard day. We had lunch with a member and then had 2 lessons in Bad Canstatt. After that, I was so down. I had no idea why but I did not have a lot of energy. As we were leaving, two guys stopped us and asked "What do you preach?" For you future missionaries, that just means they want to bash. They attacked our belief in that we can become like God but I showed them a reference from the Gospel of John and how God refers to us as future gods, not Gods. There was more to the bash but we bore testimony and left. By the way, the whole thing was in English, thank heavens. Bashing is such a pet peeve of mine. It goes absolutely nowhere but I was grateful for the chance to at least bear my testimony and feel the Spirit work through us.
A bright day in Bad Canstatt 


Saturday it snowed a lot so the streets were empty. We tried dooring but it was just not the same as street contacting. I thought I would like it but I guess not. We had a joint teach with our bishop and a guy named Dimi. Dimi is greek but he can speak a little bit of German. Our bishop served in Greece and helped with translating. It was inspiring to see an RM of many years still use his mission languge. I plan on studying German more after the mission. 

Sunday I gave my 3rd talk in the Waiblingen ward. I am not sure why they keep asking me but it was fun. After church, we had a cool afternoon to see how the Lord guides the day. We came home after church and started calls. On one phone call, one guy said he could meet right then so we went. We taught him about the Book of Mormon but sadly he could not read. However, it was a good experience to bring the truth to one more person and we plan on bringing easier material to him.

 On the way back, we had an impression to stop by our referral, Helen. Helen was the investigator who was referred from America. She came to church once but not for the past few weeks. She came to an activity but she is really slow at texting back. She talks to a member though so that is how we reach her. Anyway, it has been kind of disappointing how things were going with her. We had an impression to go by her home for a quick visit at the door but she was not home. I was kind of confused but Elder Hansen pointed out to me that the Spirit might have been checking to make sure we were listening and that we would obey. 

To explain Sunday evening, I need to back up to Saturday night. We had just finished the lesson with Dimi and we ran into a less active from the Stuttgart ward. We see him often in our area. He invited us to come make maultauschen and play games the next day so that is what we did Sunday night. The zone leaders were there as well and it was a great evening. 

Yesterday we had district meeting and did a bit more finding. I was asked to share something I learned from personal study in district meeting and I wanted to share that with you guys. In 3 Nephi 12, Christ gives a discourse simlar to the Sermon on the Mount. Something I love to do with the scriptures is compare Bible references in the Book of Mormon. For example, 3 Nephi 12-14 and Matthew 5-7. Something I noticed was in verse 13 and 14. Jesus tells us in Matthew to be the salt of the earth and a light to the world. However, in the Book of Mormon, Christ says, "I give unto you" to be those things. I like to think that I am a good missionary trying to do good things but I am also aware that without the Atonement, I could not have done anything like I am doing now. Christ gives unto us the possibility of being better because of His Atonement. I am so grateful for what He has done for me and how I love to be His disciple. 

Love you all! Have a great week!

Elder Evans


From the Fernsehturm 

Picture from the Senior Missionaries (Mason's District)



Comments

Popular Posts