Week #25 And my soul hungered

Hallo meine Familie und meine Freunde! Frohes Neues Jahre! 

Yeah, so weird it is 2018. It is going to be a life changing year; I can already feel it. New year, new oppritunities! So exciting! 

This week, to be honest, was fun because we got to spend some good time with members (we had appointments almost every day) but it was also a bit of a struggle because there was not a lot of interest on the streets. Yet the Lord looked out for us and gave us wonderful tender mercies to finish 2017 and start 2018.

Elder Hansen and Elder Evans wearing ties the members gave us

We tried to do our best to find more people to teach this week. Two days in particular stand out. Saturday was a day full of finding and just talking to people. At times, we were cold, hungry, and a little bit miserable. We sat down on a bench and sang a few hymns out loud together. It calmed us down and brought the Spirit. We realized that Satan was trying to come in full force but that also meant that we were doing something right. Kind of cool feeling. 

Another time was on Monday. We came back from a member appointment and had an impression to do an hour of finding. We did not have to but we felt like it was the best thing to do. At first, it was discouraging and the streets were not great but we ended up getting 3 potentials and a return appointment in that hour. Yeah, sometimes it can be a challenge for me when all we have planned is to go finding but I have learned so much and it is helping me come closer to Christ. 

A cool sign about Jesus on the train! Love it! 

One cool thing I learned from personal study was a line from a book of Enos. When Enos is hunting in the woods, he thinks a lot about the words of his father Jacob and begins to have a desire to come closer to Christ. I then saw a line in verse 4 that I never had seen before: "And my Soul hungered." Something I have learned from my mission is that it is very easy for anyone to not have a hunger or in other words, a desire for spiritual things. With so many distractions, a lot of people go without the truth because they cannot sense the hunger or they have ignored it or they just don't want it. It has been impressed on my mind often that I need to always desire to pray, read the scriptures, repent, go to church, and do all those other things. We should not have to be awakened by a painful hunger and realize what we are missing. If I could extend a nice commitment to all of you wonderful people, spend a little bit more time in spiritual activities. Set aside 10 more minutes for scripture. Stay on your knees in prayer a little longer. Find someone who needs a friend. Build a desire to not only attend the church meetings but participate and learn from the Spirit. 

Sorry if this seems like a spiritual rant (I do not want it to be) but it has been on my mind for a bit. I hope you guys have a fantastic week! Make the year start out good and let it last! 

Elder Evans 


Fun shot outside, waiting for the train 

A cool car back from when Germany  was communist. Pretty neat!

Comments

Popular Posts